Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Maintankadin?

Something I've been thinking about a lot lately is my "role" within my guild. I've healed before, tanked and done very limited DPS. The thing I always come back to is tanking with my paladin.

So I'm going to be a tank, now and through the expansion. That seems like an easy decision and there are definately resources out there to help (which I will need to make use of, if I knew everything, I'd be level 70 and there would be no ? after the title).

As I see it, there are three main parts to tanking: Threat generation, Gearing, and Marking the instance. Threat generation is no problem. Even with higher level characters, between consecrate, the 90% bonus from righteous fury, holy shield, and the hammer, I should generate more than enough threat to hold the mobs. Gearing also isnt too difficult. Grind rep, grind instances, become uncrushable, improve character from there. There is a degree of randomness to it, but I think I have a handle on what needs to be done. That brings me to marking the instance.

My first experience with marking came this year. I know HOW to do it, tank, DPS, diff CC get different markings, etc. I just lack the knowledge of which mobs are the most important to take out and who I should be giving what marking to. Do I CC casters and tank the melee, leaving casters for later? Who's immune to what? Are there special mechanics from the instance I'm unaware of? Solo I know I can play any class, and understand how they work. I know the diff types of CC's each class has. I DO NOT, on the other hand, have any knowledge of any instance higher level than Slave Pens, and that kind of bothers me.

I don't want to be a crappy tank because I don't know what I'm doing. I guess that is what it comes down to.

So until I get up to speed, I will be Leshif, 66% Maintankadin. . .

No comments: